StagesLab Internship Synapse & Network Development
The Synapse and Network Development group, led by Prof. Christian Lohmann, investigates the mechanisms underlying the development of synapses and neuronal activity in mice using high-resolution imaging and electrophysiology techniques.
In this project, we study how acetylcholine modulates the activity of the developing visual cortex using functional imaging and electrophysiology in brain slices, as well as in vivo two-photon and widefield imaging. We are offering a neuroscience internship to assist with:
- Post-hoc immunohistostaining to identify different neuronal subpopulations and cholinergic axons in the visual cortex to match the in vivo recordings.
- Widefield and two-photon imaging data curation in Python.
- If there is interest, patch-clamp recordings combined with optogenetic stimulation of cholinergic axons in acute brain slices to study the cellular effects of acetylcholine release.
Tasks and goals
This internship offers you the opportunity to gain new knowledge and new skills, as well as to contribute to an ongoing project. The tasks involved in this project include sectioning and staining brain slices, confocal microscopy, patch-clamp electrophysiology, analysis in ImageJ and Python, and lab meetings presentations. We will provide the learning environment to help you accomplish these tasks.
- Interest and good knowledge of neuroscience.
- Experience with animal handling, immunohistochemistry, and Python will be considered favorably.
- Previous experience with patch-clamp will be required for those interested in conducting patch-clamp experiments.
- Fluent in English.
The internship is for at least 6 months. The starting date is flexible, preferably in September or October. Note: There will be no financial support for this internship from the institute.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Internship application – [Your name]”, including the following documents:
- A short cover letter or e-mail expressing your interest in the project.
- Up-to-date CV.
- One recommendation letter.
Evaluation of candidates will continue until the vacancy is filled. Interested candidates are also welcome to contact us for inquiries and visit us!
"*" geeft vereiste velden aan