Directeur Nederlands Herseninsituut – KNAW
- You will bear final responsibility for the general and day-to-day management of the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience and for charting the institute’s course, in line with the Academy’s strategy. You are supported by the Managing Director.
- You will ensure that the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience remains a leading international institute where scientific talent flourishes.
- You will identify important developments in research and society, both in the Netherlands and elsewhere, and respond effectively to them.
- You will develop a distinct approach to the profile and future development of the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience as a dynamic research institute of international standing with added value for the Netherlands.
- You will play an important role in national and international networks and partnerships in the field and promote interdisciplinary cooperation with universities and other Academy and NWO institutes.
- You will position the institute with bodies that fund research (including the EU, NWO), knowledge institutions, NGOs, government institutions and the business community, and by doing so create new partnerships.
- You will devote yourself to fostering science communication and maximising the impact of the institute’s research activities on society.
- You will represent the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience both within the Academy (as a member of the Council of Directors) and in national and international bodies, thus promoting the interests of both the institute and the Academy.
- You have proven leadership qualities, the ability to connect, and you are inventive and engaged.
- You stand for and promote an inspiring, safe, diverse and inclusive research environment.
- You are a leading (inter)national active scientist with an excellent track record of investigating the neural circuitry of mental functions across humans and animals, or a track record in one with strong affinity to the other.
- You have experience how to promote and implement open science within a neuroscience institute.
- You have a large national and international network and are demonstrably able to use it to form strategic alliances and acquire grants for research.
- You are open to public debate and committed to scientific integrity. You are honest, result-oriented and decisive and show dynamism. You are a strong communicator, both internally and externally, have an eye for the human dimension, create a basis of support and maintain a dialogue.
- You have an affinity with finance, human resources and ICT policy that enables you to take integral responsibility for the institute.
- You have in any event an excellent command of written and spoken English. If you do not have a command of the Dutch language, it is expected that you are prepared to at least passively master the Dutch language in the foreseeable future by means of language training.
Terms of Employment
The employment contract with the Academy will be entered into for an indefinite period of time. The director will be appointed for a period of five years, with the intention of reappointment for a second and final term of five years. The commencement date is in principle 1 March 2023 but can be agreed in consultation with you. Depending on education and work experience, the person appointed will be remunerated at scale 18 (of the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities), including 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3% of the annual salary. The Academy offers attractive employee benefits and schemes that enable a good work-life balance.
The deadline for applications is 1 September 2022. The Academy Procedure for Appointment and Reappointment of Institute Directors is applicable which has the consent of the Academy’s Works Council. The selection procedure may involve an assessment.
For further information about the position, please contact Wilma de Koning MSc, Academy Director General, e-mail [email protected]. Website Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience-KNAW: www.nin.nl; website Academy (KNAW): www.knaw.nl. Work location: Meibergdreef 47, 1105 BA Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Applicants are welcomed to submit their application through (and only through, do not use the apply button on this page) the online form here until Semptember 1st, 2022.