The Synapse and Network Development (SND) laboratory led by Dr. Christian Lohmann studies how neuronal connections and brain circuits develop using advanced in vivo and in vitro electrophysiology and (two-photon) microscopy in mice. In particular, the group images the activity patterns of developing neurons and synapses that drive synaptic plasticity in the visual cortex to understand how functional circuits are wired up. We are looking for a Zoological Technician who assists with these experiments by genotyping and administrating the mouse colony, performing surgeries and immunohistochemistry. You will also help with the management of the lab.
What you are going to do
- Genotyping and administration of experimental animals (mice)
- Preparation of brain slices and slice cultures
- Surgeries, such as in utero electroporations and viral injections
- Immunohistochemistry and microscopy
- Laboratory management (ordering, administration)
- Assistance with in vivo microscopy and electrophysiology techniques
Your skills, qualities and experience
- Zoological Technician with Art. 9, 12 or 13 license
- Experience with PCR, microsurgeries, immunohistochemistry and microscopy
- Team player
- Lab management skills
- Highly accurate work style
- Comfortable to communicate in English
The position is for a period of one year initially. Pending on evaluation this may be extended for a second year and eventually become a permanent position.
Depending on education and relevant work experience, the gross monthly salary based on half-time employment (0.5 fte – 19 hours/week) varies between € 1.164,- and € 1.572,- gross per month (salary scale 7), in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU/KNAW), excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. There are excellent fringe benefits.
Amsterdam Zuid-Oost, the Netherlands
Application and deadline
Applicants are requested to write a letter in which they motivate their application, accompanied by a curriculum vitae and one or two references. Applicants should send this in a single PDF-file by email, before February 15th 2021, to: [email protected], with reference “Research technician SND”. Evaluation of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until the vacancy is filled.
Any acquisition in response to this advertisement will not be dealt with.